Lots of runners will tell you that the most important piece of equipment for any runner are your shoes. Well, while that is probably true, socks, which are often overlooked and forgotten, are a very close second.
Nothing so small can cause as much discomfort to a runner as a blister. They are painful, annoying, and if not handled properly can force you to quit running.
What typically causes a blister? I’m sure you already know: moisture, heat, and friction.
What to consider when looking for socks:
- A moisture wicking fiber is crucial. Wicking away the sweat and water helps prevent blisters by keeping feet dry and cool.
- Pay attention to things like seams and fit that may cause irritation through rubbing. Fit, just like with shoes, is as important as anything else. You don’t want extra fabric getting in the way.
- Running socks come in a variety of thickness levels. Test out both thicker and thinner options.
- Added arch compression can make for a much more comfortable run if circulation or swelling is an issue. This is especially important during long runs and ultras.
After suffering through major blister issues earlier this year during one of my ultras, I have been determined to find the perfect sock to keep my feet dry, happy, and blister free with just a little cushion.
Below I’ve shared some highlights on 2 pairs of socks from 2 different companies with the hope that you can find the perfect sock to keep your feet happy, healthy dry and blister free.
I first tried out the Feetures! Elite cushion/light cushion sock during the Horseshoe Trail 50K at Jack Brooks Park back in January. I had been suffering from major blister issues during races towards the end of last year (2015) and was willing to try anything to protect the back of my ankle, tops of my toes and my mid-foot.
What stands out most about the Feetures! is the compression aspect of the sock and the seamless toe. I’ve never been a fan of compression socks but I am completely sold on the effectiveness of compression in these running socks. The compression helps prevent swelling by forcing blood flow back above the ankle. The lack of swelling keeps my feet comfortable and less irritated. The seamless toe keeps the fabric from rubbing (which causes blisters) while you run.
These socks did everything that I had hoped they would and I love the no show blister tab. Even though it was my first longest race of the year, other then being muddy; my feet came out looking great!
This is my go to trail race sock. The socks are super comfy and give me the compression support, ventilation and cushion I need for ultras as well as preventing blisters. They come in a variety of colors and styles. They retail from $10-$50 depending on style with a lifetime guarantee.
- 96% Nylon, 4% Spandex
Patented Sock-Lock Technology to provide targeted compression where it’s needed most.
- Anatomical design enhances fit, delivering maximum comfort and protection by eliminating blisters.
- High density cushioning provides extra protection in high impact areas.
- iWick fibers wick moisture to keep feet cool and dry.
- The Perfect Toe® (No irritating toe seam.)
What stands out most about the Wrightsock is the Anti-Blister System aspect of these socks. They have moisture management, temperature regulation and friction reduction in a super light sock. I am completely sold on the effectiveness of these multi-sport socks.
The Double Layer construction coupled with the most technically advanced fibers, delivers the blister protection that I need. It provides year round comfort and performance with no blisters- guaranteed.
This is my go to sock for all road races and training. On top of that, these multi-sport socks have kept my feet cool, dry and blister free on some of the hottest days of this Texas summer. They retail from $9.50-$19 depending on style with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Mesh panel for enhanced air flow and cooler feet.
- Dri-WRIGHT™ll performance fibers improve moisture management and increased durablility.
- Stabilizer Zone in arch locks sock in place.
- Styles and colors for all tastes
- No Blisters, Guaranteed!
Inner Layer: 70% Dri-Wright® II Polyester, 26% Nylon, 4% Lycra®
Outer Layer: 71% Dri-Wright® II Polyester, 24% Nylon, 5% Lycra®
What socks do you use? Maybe I’ll give them a try and give some feedback!